Thursday, May 15, 2008

A Special Mother's Day

Each holiday this year may be bittersweet for me. To explain, my Mother lost her battle with breast cancer in January. As each holiday approaches I feel uneasy, knowing it will be painful yet full of lovely memories of my Mom. First were our birthdays, mine on February 16, hers on February 22. Now Mother's Day. I had heard people talk about the first year and the difficulty of the holidays. I said to myself that walking through the pain would be healthy and that over time it would lift to a place of happy memories. It seems to be true.


My Mom was remarkable after she learned her cancer had returned. She also made a choice - to live each day to the fullest, to surround herself with family and friends, and to devote time to her many treasured causes. I'm working to take a page from her book.


So this Mother's Day, I spent the day with my husband and my boys. We also had lunch with my mother-in-law. I was reminded again how very many blessings I have in my life.


My husband, who has hung in there with me through many emotions these last few months, gave me the following card. I'm not sure I can fully explain why I love this card so much. It just pictures the place he and I have found together. Even though we faced many challenging times, we still feel like those kids.






I don't think the pain of losing a loved one every completely fades, but we live on to make more happy memories. I offer a favorite Psalm of my mother's. She told me a few months before she died that she said this to herself every morning.

This is the day which the LORD has made; Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118

No comments: