Friday, July 25, 2008

Garden Update

I just couldn't let you get away for the weekend without a garden update!!! You've probably been wondering, waiting with baited breath, dying to know...ha ha ha hee hee hee. I hope to not bore you, 'cause it's been so busy in the garden this week, like finding treasure every single day!

My youngest came along with me to the garden yesterday, at first to help pull some weeds, then he noticed some very red tomatoes. Off he went to the house and he came back with two very large bowls. He meant business.




It was fun to be in the garden with him, because he was very excited. He showed me the cherry and roma tomatoes he was picking several times as though they were jewels. I know that feeling! He was even a bit annoyed that I stopped the action for this picture.



He looked in all the good hiding places.




He also picked our last batch of green beans. We've had them at dinner four times in the last week or so.

Meanwhile, Mom worked on the weeds:



I had definitely neglected this particular bed, because look what I pulled up with the weeds.





Now the bed is ready for planting. It still has carrots, green onions and leeks growing...they need some company, I think.



Time to make Pesto with this basil. I hope I haven't waited too late as they are just showing flower buds. I learned from Susie this weekend that you can cut them back for regrowing several times in one season! All is not lost if it is too late as we have already enjoyed Ensalada Caprese several times.


Look at this beauty - Peaches and Cream. I was so thrilled to open this ear and see the beautiful corn inside. Stunned may be a better description of the feeling...no worms and lovely kernels. If an amateur like me can do it, so can you!



We boiled the corn up for dinner and it was spectacular!

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

MUD said...

Good Story, great Photos! Keep up the good work and Good Eating.
MUD