Thursday, October 2, 2008

The First Days of Fall

Last night the thermometer dipped into the 30s. No denying it now, the seasons are a-changin'. We've had a month of what my husband and I have been calling "resort weather". High in 70-80s, low in th 50-60s. Pure heaven. It's funny though how living in the midwest, with it's distinct seasons, leaves you restless if one goes on a little too long. Here's a sweet adieu to summer.



With much anticipation we put in a vegetable garden complete with raised beds and a wind-blocking wall. We've marveled all summer at the bounty.


The first signs of warm weather brought out the neighborhood buddies to wrestle around.


An early season basketball game got the boys fired up.




More fun was had this summer in the canoe on the backyard pond. Not only this hual of fish, but swimming, splashing and general mayhem. Oh, and how could I forget...the leeches!




It was a summer of learning with Oldest and Middleman mastering kneeboarding. Youngest also jumped into the fray fighting for his next turn on the tube.





Aaaah! The evenings of baseball have now been replaced with evenings of football. I have a deep appreciation for baseball's non-contact element. It's also noteworthy, in that it's reminiscent of my youth, when I frequently attended Cardinal Baseball games in St. Louis. Now, it's my boys playing which beats watching the pros ANY day.




We enjoyed watching our nephew, Marshall, play Lacrosse. Youngest longingly watched and wished to move in with his cousins so he, too, could play.


As for me and enjoying a summer evening with my girlfriends, no worries there, we'll just move those antics right inside!


How can we not enjoy the dog days of summer??? However, in the meantime, we turn our attention to those unique cold weather activities that conjure memories, comfort and fun. For me, it's making hearty foods like soups and stews, and anything requiring the use of the toasty oven. It's fires in the fireplace. It's seed catalogs in January and of course, the holidays and all the tradition and...craziness that goes along. Summer, until we meet again...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What a great post to conclude the warm, summer months. I look forward to sharing Fall and Winter with you as well.

Nancy said...

I too am enjoying the change in the weather. Just this morning I baked muffins for breakfast and left the oven door open after I turned it off. Oh it felt good.

Anonymous said...

Great pics, and a nice good-bye to summer! I think everyone's ready for fall - and it's been a fantastic one so far (with the exception of that football game Tuesday night!)!