Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Let the Buttons Do the Talking

As I've mentioned before, my mother was politically active. Some political punch exists in my husband's family as well. His aunt once served as the Chairman of the Kansas Republican party.



We've inherited some commemoration of these experiences - political buttons.


Here's a sampling of my Mom's buttons. She worked on many civic projects including raising money for the library, the school district and the city pool. She also was a democrat, a yellow dog democrat! I recently learned from my cousin, Shelley, that this is a real term, studied in college political science classes, and I assume a moniker of great honor within the Democratic Party. It means even if the dems were to put up a yellow dog as a candidate, my Mom would have voted for her!


Here's a look at the buttons collected by my mother and father-in-law.




I love that many different parties are represented here with buttons from Reagan to Carter to Perot. Even Rockefeller. I need a little help though. Who's Stassen and Bob Ray???




A true political button collector has the cool button from both parties. You might see Carter's face while reading Ford's name, but look from a different angle and see Ford's face while reading "Carter".



How about this cool Ford button? How could he not win with a button like this?

We have followed this election so closely for the last few months. It's hard to believe it is finally Election Day! We will know, I hope, who our next president will be before we go to sleep tonight. We are going to a Watch Event this evening... the kids, too. We've got them so excited (some might suspect brainwashed)! I hope you take the time to VOTE today, because...




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great thing to have from your Mom! Love those old buttons!! One especially caught my eye... "Jayhawk Mom"... :)

Jenny said...

I didn't know she had that button! She had been saving it for a long time :)!
Jenny

Nancy said...

What a great collection. Love it.

Cant Hardly Wait said...

That's certainly a unique collection, how cool!

Rechelle said...

Those are too cool Jenny.

John M. Stassen said...

Stassen is Harold E. Stassen, former Governor of Minnesota, President of UPenn and perennial candidate for president.